The other day I made Baba Ganoush from scratch for the first time, and oh man was it delicious. Essentially it is very similar to a hummus, except that this dip is made from charred eggplant. Which means if you are sensitive to legumes like I am, this is the perfect alternative for you! Keep reading because I have developed a simple and delicious recipe that you won't want to miss!
YOU WILL NEED:
2 charred eggplants
1 tsp garlic
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Dash of cumin
Dash of smoked paprika
1 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds for garnish
1. Char two eggplants over an open flame or a grill until completely cooked through. Leave them in whole for this process. It should take about 30 min.
2. Then cut your eggplant open lengthwise and remove the flesh with a spoon or a fork, using everything except the charred skins.
3. Add the flesh into a fine mesh strainer to push out any water. Then add the eggplant to a foods processor or a kitchen blender. To that, add the garlic, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, tahini, salt and pepper as well as a bit of honey.
4. Blend on medium speed and slowly incorporate the olive oil while your blender is on. This will cause the oil to emulsify, resulting in a super creamy Baba Ganoush.
5. As soon as your mixture is smooth, remove it from the blender and add it into a serving bowl. Let it set in the fridge for at least 30 min before serving.
6. Once ready to serve drizzle over some olive oil and sesame seeds as well as a hand full of pomegranate seeds.
7. Enjoy as a dip with some fresh naan or on top of salads!